Adoption Process and Policies
How do I start the adoption process for a dog I am interested in adopting?
1- Find the dog of interest posted as Available on our
main page, or on our
Adoptapet.com profile or
It is encouraged that you sponsor the dog of interest through the sponsorship button posted under his/her photo on our main page. Sponsorship donations are meant to support the goals of our adoption preparation program (
Click here to learn more about our adoption preparation program). All donations are tax-deductible.
Click Here to fill out and submit an online adoption application. You will find all the available dogs listed in a menu on the application.
If you submit an adoption application, you will be sent an automatic reply confirming the receipt of your application and instructions of the next steps towards the adoption. Some of our applicants happen to receive the confirmation email in their unmonitored mail as this email gets sent from the form provider and not from our direct rescue email. Please check regularly the updates and feeds in your email. If you do not receive any confirmation, this does not necessarily mean that your application was not received, Please email us on PetEmberrescue3@gmail.com so that we can verify if your application was successfully submitted. Please submit your application before the end of the site session or else all the information filled will be lost and you will need to start all over again.
3- If your adoption application is approved, you will be contacted for a phone interview followed by an email with the time/date and location for your scheduled meet and greet with your future companion.
We currently schedule the majority of our private meets and greets at our corporate office in San Bernardino (Appointment ONLY). The rest of meets and greets are carried out at our partnered PetSmart store in the city of Fullerton, CA based on approved adoption applications.
4- During the meet and greet, you will be given enough time to interact with the animal and see if he/she is a good companion for you. It is your own decision whether you would like to proceed forward with the adoption or not.
5- Lastly, If you decide to proceed forward with the adoption at the time of the meet and greet, the final step will be signing our adoption agreement, paying the adoption fee, and allowing us to conduct a home check (Home checks are waived due to the rise of COVID-19 delta variant cases).
6- Take home on the same day as the meet and greet.
What are the adoption policies and guidelines at PetEmber ?
1- People from all the cities and towns of California are welcome to apply and adopt one of our animals without any restrictions.
2- People from
other States and from Canada must have an
exceptional record of previous dog ownership in order to apply.
3- At this time, we are only allowing applicants to submit
only two applications per household.
4- Applicants are not allowed to apply for other dogs on our website while having a pending application with PetEmber.
adoption application is
a request to adopt the animal and
not an adoption agreement. All applicants must respect the adoption decision taken by PetEmber whether they were selected or not.
6- If your application is
approved, you will have a meet and greet with the animal. You have the right to decide if the animal is a good fit for you or not. If you decide to proceed forward with the adoption at the time of the meet and greet, You must sign an
adoption agreement with PetEmber. The adopter is obligated to provide the animal with the best care possible. All terms of the adoption agreement must be respected (No exceptions).
No holds or deposits are accepted. the adoption fee is charged at the time of the adoption. Submitting an adoption application is
No application fees or processing fees are applied. Donating to the rescue is a voluntary charitable act that should come from the kindness of people who would like to help animals regardless of the adoption decision.
8- Adoption fees partially cover some of the expenses spent on preparing the dog for adoption. The rest of expenses are covered through the funds raised from our sponsor a rescue dog program. Therefore, the program allows mid-income families to afford paying the adoption fee.
9- For highly adoptable breeds of dogs, adoptions are subject to the concept of
supply and demand. It is highly competitive to adopt animals of highly adoptable breeds. Priority of adoption will be given to the sponsors who helped prepare the animal for adoption. All sponsors will be ranked according to their qualifications. In case there are more than one qualified sponsor, the rescue has to go by whoever applied first and approve his/her application.
10- Returning applicants are only allowed to defer their old application only for one time to only one dog.
How to check the adoption status of a dog you applied to adopt?
You will find the status of the dog under his/her photo as follows:
It means that the dog is still available for people to apply and sponsor within the 7-business days posting duration of each dog.
2- Applications under review:
This phase means that PetEmber is still reviewing applications for the dog. Review of applications generally takes from 2-5 business days after the post ending.
3- Adoption Pending:
This means that an adopter has been assigned to the dog but the adoption has not been finalized yet. There is a small chance that a selected adopter might not proceed forward with the adoption.
This means that the dog had a meet and greet with his adopter and the adoption was finalized. The dog already has a new owner.
While waiting to check the status of adoption, please consider applying for rescue dogs at other rescues or shelters such that if you are not selected, you don't miss out on other rescue dogs in need.
What is the timeline of the adoption process at PetEmber?
- Each dog available for adoption at PetEmber is posted on the website for 7-business days. Throughout the 7-business days, applicants are allowed to submit their adoption applications and sponsor the dog.
- After the ending of the post duration, the review process takes around 2 business days according to the volume of applications received.
- If an applicant is approved, a meet and greet will be arranged immediately.
- Signing the adoption agreement, paying the adoption fee, and take home will be the same day of the meet and greet.
How do I schedule a meet and greet?
Meets and greets are only scheduled based on an approved adoption application. Thus, you must submit an adoption application and get approved first by PetEmber before you can schedule a meet and greet with the dog you are interested to adopt.
Does PetEmber adopt to people outside the State of California ?
Yes! PetEmber adopts to people who reside outside the state of California under these conditions:
1- Adopter must meet all the qualifications required for the animal.
2- Adopter must have 5+ years of dog ownership and must submit proof of ownership from paperwork, photos, and two reference contacts.
3- It is preferrable that the adopter come and attend the meet and greet with the dog in California.
Does PetEmber adopt to people out of town within the State of California?
Yes! PetEmber serves the residents of California and the majority of our dogs are adopted in the state of California.
How to sponsor an animal? What are the terms and conditions of sponsorships?
- Select the dog you would like to sponsor from our main page.
- Find the sponsorship button labeled as "Sponsor" under the photo of the dog on our website and submit your donation.
- No donation is too small. Any small charitable contribution can help towards achieving our program goals.
- All donations will be processed through our secure non-profit PayPal-approved charitable account for PetEmber. You can donate via debit card, credit card, or through your PayPal account. You will receive an email with the donation receipt from PayPal immediately after your donation is submitted so that you can use it for Tax-deduction purposes when filing for your taxes.
-It is not mandatory for sponsors to adopt. You can donate to help a dog in need even if you do not wish to adopt. Sponsors who would like to adopt are welcome to submit their adoption applications as long as they met all the requirements needed for the dog. Priority of adoption will be given to qualified sponsors over those who did not sponsor the dog. Sponsors must read the story of the dog before deciding to sponsor.
- In case there is more than one qualified sponsor who applied to adopt, the rescue will go by whoever applied first and approve his/her application.
Terms and conditions:
- Rescue missions and adoption preparation of dogs at PetEmber are funded by the joint funds raised by our sponsor a rescue dog program supported by the public (Diversity of sponsors and donors) so that all people interested in helping rescue animals can afford donating towards the big program goals. Funds generated jointly by the public signify the important role of community to engage in helping rescue animals get prepared for adoption.
- Sponsorship contributions are accepted from either individuals or businesses with the intention of helping animals in need.
- All the sponsors of each animal have the right to apply for adoption and have an equal opportunity for their applications to be reviewed and evaluated. In case there are more than one qualified sponsor, the rescue has to go by whoever applied first and approve his/her application. Adoptions at PetEmber are highly competitive. Sponsors who could not adopt due to supply and demand issues are allowed to defer their application to one more dog who is posted as "Available" on our website.
- Sponsorship donations are voluntary charitable contributions and they should be made for the purpose they are intended for (To support our adoption preparation program). All donations are tax-deductible. Please do not submit a donation with the intention of deterring other sponsors who are applying to adopt from having an equal opportunity for their adoption applications to be reviewed.
- The rescue has the right to deny an adoption application from a sponsor if the sponsor was not found to be a good fit for the dog he/she has sponsored.
- Submitting an adoption application is 100% free of charge. No processing fees or applications fees are assessed. Sponsorship donations are charitable contributions to our rescue and the purpose of these donations is explained thoroughly on our sponsor a rescue dog program page. PetEmber does not accept deposits or holds for any dog.
- Sponsoring animals might rank your adoption application among those applicants who sponsored and applied to adopt. However, it does not guarantee that you will be the selected adopter.
- By sponsoring an animal, you agree to all the terms and conditions mentioned in this page.
What are the selection criteria of applicants?
PetEmber will review applications in the following order:
1- Applications of the sponsors of the dog.
2- Applications of non-sponsors.
All sponsors and non-sponsors of the animal have to fulfill the following criteria:
1- An applicant must be a good fit for the animal in terms of activity level, personality, lifestyle, and daily availability. Also, If you have allergies, you should only apply for a hypoallergenic animal.
2- Applicants must administer decent knowledge of pet care.
3- The animal adopted should not be used for breeding purposes. All animals must be spayed/neutered when they become of age to be sterilized.
4- Caring of a rescue animal comes at a cost, applicants must be financially capable of providing for an animal (Dog food, grooming, housing, training, transport, and veterinarian care).
5- Applicants should not intend to use the animal for dog fights, hunting, and dangerous activities.
Note: For some animals, the following points are not considered a factor in the selection process:
1- Having a completely fenced yard is not a factor if the animal (With medium to low energy) will be living indoors and will be walking on a leash/harness outdoors.
2- Living in an apartment/condo Vs. Living in a house with a fenced backyard is not considered a selection factor for small to medium size dogs (medium to low energy activity) that are going to be living indoors.
3- In town Vs. out of town adoptions are not a selection factor.